According to mainstream media, the terms of a ‘cease-fire’ are currently in negotiation between the elected government of Gaza and the elected government of Israel.
In a tweet posted August 5, a spokesman for the Israeli military wrote: “Mission accomplished.”
What the latest Israeli mission accomplished:
- 1,938 Palestinians killed, 1,626 of them civilians, including 460 children and 246 women
- 7,920 wounded, mostly civilians, including 2,111 children and 1,415 women;
- 800 houses destroyed and thousands of others severely damaged
- Many thousands of Palestinian civilians forcibly displaced
- The impact of Israel’s intentional destruction of health and education facilities, and water, sewage and electric infrastructure is beyond imagining.
August 5, the same day Israel declared “Mission accomplished,” US President Obama signed a $225 million cheque, approved by Congress, to resupply Israel with missiles.
In a searing cry for elemental justice, Raji Sourani, director of the Palestinian Centre for Human Rights, writes from inside the “cage” that is Gaza: “A ceasefire is not enough. It will not end the suffering. It will only move us from the horror of death by bombardment to the horror of death by slow strangulation. We cannot go back to being prisoners in a cage that Israel rattles when it chooses with brutal destructive offensives.”
Please read his eloquent call to the world, and give it wings by passing it on. It’s the least we can do.
August 10, 2014 at 5:39 pm
I’m very happy to know your way to fight. I just finished to translate de letter from Raji Sourani to portuguese (with Google trans help). I will try to publish in a Catholic Journal in Rio de Janeiro. God Bless You